Pedestrian Accident

Few car accidents are worse than those involving pedestrians, and if you’ve been hit by a car, then you’re lucky to be alive. The injuries associated with this kind of accident tend to be particularly severe, and are often life-threatening. At the very least, the injuries you sustained were probably worse than those of the driver.

Florida is a “no-fault” state when it comes to automobile accidents. This means that when such an accident occurs, the driver can’t be sued in any but the most severe cases. Instead, the injured party can seek compensation from their insurance carrier, or, through a benefit known as Personal Injury Protection (PIP). This benefit covers a percentage of the person’s medical costs and, in most cases, lost wages, up to $10,000.

Given the severity of pedestrian accidents, many victims will still be left with substantial medical costs even after the PIP payouts. To add insult to injury, even negligent drivers are exempt from lawsuits in no-fault states such as Florida. While the no-fault system may benefit many people, it can leave others buried in medical bills.

Should I sue?

Don’t be afraid to reach out if you believe that you’re entitled to more than what Personal Injury Protection is paying. As noted before, Florida’s no-fault system makes exceptions in some cases. If an accident resulted in damage to vital organs, lasting disability, or death, then survivors or the family of the victim may bring a lawsuit. However, they would have to prove that the accident was caused by the driver’s negligence, which will be difficult without legal counsel.

Let Katherine handle your case!

Katherine is a seasoned legal counselor in the State of Florida. She has worked on many personal injury claims to ensure that the injured person did not lose out on the compensation they were due. Whether you need to sue or just negotiate more effectively, Katherine can help you make sense of personal injury law.

Contact us for a free consultation!

Questions about how Personal Injury Protection applies to your case? You can reach us by phone, email, or text message, whichever you prefer. We can make the process as quick, smooth, and painless as possible for you.